Tuesday, July 06, 2004

This is not news, but young people suck!

Had the opportunity to do some travelling this holiday weekend. At the airport, we were forced to listen to the conversation of 4 college-aged punks (3 girls and 1 guy). I guess girls aren't really punks, but I don't have a suitable name for irritating chicks, at least not names I want to be responsible for floating thru the ether.

One of these sweet-hearts was particularly adroit with sailor-ese. I kept referring to her as "Trucker-mouth." Not coincidentally, her friend carried an Alpha Phi sorority bag and the guy was wearing a UM baseball cap. One of the other two Females was wearing a Bowling Green t-shirt. Thankfully, the third female was non-descript and quiet. I wonder how she felt around these morons? They seemed to be a relatively accurate cross section of today's college students.

At any rate, becasue they were loud and rude and only four feet away, we were subjected to a rude, crass, loud recollection of a drunken debauchery that invovled several F-bombs, various other curse words, a confrontation with a bouncer and the humiliation of a cab driver that culminated with somebody barfing in the cab. And this is just the girls talking. I tried my level best to stay engrossed in Outrage, by Vincent Bugliosi (detailing the incompetence of the OJ prosection), but the volume alone from these idiots was very distracting. Is this the best and the brightest? God, I hope not. I just don't remember girls talking like that "back in the day." It was one of the reasons we liked girls, because they were not like guys. Still shaking my head in amazement. Are all college girls like this now? Wow.

I am no wilting violet. If I take honest stock of my life, the content of their blab-fest may not be so different from my own. I do feel fairly certain that I did not recount my exploits at decibels high enough to be heard over jet engines. I certainly did not purposely share my deeds with other potentially weary travellers.

Thankfully, they were seated at the rear of the plane and in different seats. My trip home was peaceful as soons as they were seated close enough to the engines not to be heard up by the cockpit. Small victories.

4 comments:

  1. Uh, what about Vetter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but this was different. Vetter, I think we can agree will show restraint when alcohol is not involved. She can carry on a discreet conversation in an airport terminal.

    And, even though Vetter can curse with the best of them, she's using curse words in the correct context, ie, the heat of the moment, passionate discussion, etc. She's not swearing as a normal part of the conversation. And she was never mean or derrogatory like these chicks were. They spoke about others in a condescending fashion. They referred to people, other than themselves, as if they were of a different class.

    Like Justice Potter Stewart said, "I know it when I see it."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:37 PM

    I just got done reading your Young People Suck comment and I must say you're absolutely right. I'm 25 years old and I don't really like anybody my age. They're dumb, they're stuck up, and they're retarded. You really haven't seen much, though. I see people worse than what you've said you saw. They're all like that, basically. I don't have a life because it's losers like that who rule the entire world. Why should I be a part of that garbage?

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog