Thursday, July 22, 2004

Dick Cheney is an excellent Vice President

Read the latest from Kate O'Beirne. I agree with her assessment of the current VP. I'm too young to remember him as Chief of Staff for President Ford. I have limited recollection of him during the Reagan era, but my recollection is that he is intelligent and trustworthy. I always felt safer having him as part of the administration, and I remember being proud that he was a part of our government.
I mentioned in an earlier post that I've noticed this real hatred of Mr. Cheney during this campaign. I don't get where this comes from. I remember watching an interview on Tim Russert's show a few months ago and being impressed. I found the Vice President to be congenial, intelligent and well spoken. I'd really like to see him in a debate with Edwards. Selling your case to 12 people from the old folks home, and debating a competent opponent are two distinct endeavors.
I hope all this talk about dropping Cheney from the ticket is Dems wishful thinking. The office of the President is well served by Cheney's counsel.

3 comments:

  1. Dude, now you're just baiting me.

    I totally disagree with you on Cheney. Just to scratch the surface as to why people (including myself) don't like him:

    One: He's a liar. Just one example--on "Meet the Press" (Sept. 14), he stated that he has "no financial interest in Halliburton of any kind and haven't had now for over three years." He claimed to have "severed all my ties with the company, gotten rid of all my financial interests." But, as Democrats are contesting, Cheney received deferred compensation of $147,579 in 2001 and $162,392 in 2002. More payments are scheduled until 2006. But he claims that there's no conflict of interests within the administration?

    Two: Even though he's claimed that he "would have been obviously happy to serve had I been called" about serving in Vietnam, he was given deferments because he was a student and a "registrant with child". Sounds like he was a draft dodger to me. But, you know--I forgive him for this. If there was any kind of draft nowadays, I wouldn't serve either.

    Whatever happened to the days when leaders were great war heroes? When leaders showed restrait in going to war because they knew exactly what war entailed?

    Three: "Well-spoken"?! Does this include his recent Senate-floored F-bomb? Yeah, that can't miss. I'm sure that you agree with me, Johnny, that I'm no stranger to the darker, vulgar side of the English language--but I agree with you (see your "Young People Suck" post) that there is a time and place for that kind of language. And the Senate floor isn't it.

    I only bring this up because I believe that if it was Kerry, Edwards, Moore, whoever--that used the choice word in this public situation, you'd be all over them calling them "Trucker-Mouth".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you read the linked article? That income is insured and is not tied to the performance of Halliburton, so where's the conflict?

    Not too thrilled with the F-bomb, but just like Sam Kinison said, "I know what it takes to turn mister hand into mister fist." Enough of Leahy yapping at him like a puppy. Frankly, one F-bomb in 30 years of stellar public service ain't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, of course he got the "insurance". I would too, so I could point to it and say, "Yeah, but lookit this!"

    You do get a couple of points for quoting Sam Kinison (RIP). Ahahahaha!

    But what about this article about the ol' stand up guy?

    http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=58681

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog