Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Not the end of the world? Refreshing.

I really like this article. I'm disturbed by the effect of political considerations and need to win elections on America's foreign policy. Well, that's probably not accurate, as I suppose it has always been the case in our Federal Republic. It certainly makes it difficult. Somebody might say they were for something before they were against it, or something equally dumb. Maybe I expect our politicians to be slick enough to take advantage of our clear successes in Iraq. At first you say, "This 'surge' is a horrible idea and will never work. It will waste American lives." Then after the results are grudgingly accepted, you say, "Our troops are clearly the best in the world. Making a plan like that work. Dang near a miracle. Let's not forget, Iraq is still a very dangerous place. But, staying in Iraq will never work. It's a disaster and is a waste of our resources." Ah heck, it is hard to make these political stands. I don't know how the Dems and the left do it.

The article also makes me wonder about the Vietnam war and the argument that media hurt America. I think it lends some truth. Something to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog