Thursday, March 31, 2005

More swearin' in public, yeehaw.

Here is an interesting article that speaks to my civilized society longings.
I've touched on this subject in this space before. Last year, I was mildly shocked by the language of college age girls in a Florida airport.
Allow myself to indict.......myself. I have been known to let loose a stream of expletives sufficient to cause a stevedore to blush. I'm not particularly proud of this ability, and I try to contain myself, but have difficulty in these three situations: 1. any sudden pain (the hit the thumb with a hammer example). 2. Ridiculously moronic displays of driving (ok, ok, I suffer from periodic road rage. But only verbally). 3. In a state of extreme intoxication, in an effort to get a laugh from others similarly situated (an occurrence that grows rare in direct proportion to age).
But what do my actions, as well as those related in the above article say about our culture? Anything?
Any recent examples out there? I have to mention that my job involves contact with the public in generally unhappy and stressful situations, so the language I hear in any given day, whether on the phone or in person, is often offensive and disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog